Cannelloni is a Pasta dish served with White Sauce / Béchamel Sauce and is a hearty meal. You can use chicken / mutton / prawns for the filling too!
For the filling
- 150 gms - brinjal / aubergine diced into 1 mm cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper - diced into 1 mm cubes
- 1/2 capsicum - diced into 1 mm cubes
- 1 egg - white
- 1 carrot - diced into 1 mm cubes
- 4 lasagna sheets - readily available in most stores
- 200 gms - mozzarella cheese
- 100 ml cream
- Herbs for garnish
- 100 gms heat and serve keema
- 1 cup - cold water
- 60 gms - butter
- 30 gms - flour
- 750 ml - milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme leaves - finely chopped
- In a deep pan, heat milk with thyme leaves,, garlic and pepper till it simmers.
- In a separate pan, melt butter and reduce the heat so that the butter does not burn. Add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Reduce heat and gently cook for another 2 minutes till there is a light fragrance coming from the butter.
- Strain the milk through a sieve and pour it gently into the pan with flour and butter. Whisk the milk and flour to avoid lumps.
- The sauce should be of a creamy consistency.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- On a flat pan, sprinkle a few drops of oil. Char grill the vegetables for about 3 minutes. Now add the heat and serve keema in the vegetables and sauté till soft.
- In a bowl, add the vegetables, keema, egg white and herbs and mix everything. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a open pan bring water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and cook the lasagna sheet till soft. Remove the sheets and cool them in cold water.
- Grease a casserole dish with oil. Cut the sheets into half and add the filling inside. Using a knife to keep the filling inside, gently roll the sheets and place the in the casserole dish.
- Add cream to the béchamel / white sauce and pour over the cannelloni. Season with herbs and pepper and spread the keema on top to give some colour.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till there is a light golden layer on the cannelloni.