Daal / Lentils are a high source of protein and taste amazing with rice / chapati. One of my favorite daal is arhar daal. Here is my take on this daal.
- Arhar daal - 1 cup washed
- Curry leaves - 2 sticks
- Dry red chilies - 2 medium
- Garlic - 3 cloves finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
- Sambhar masala - 1/2 tsp.
- Amchoor powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Ghee - 3 tbsp.
- Rai - 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala - pinch
How to prepare arhar daal:
- In a pressure cooker, pressure cook washed arhar daal with chopped ginger and green chilies for 3 - 4 whistles.
- For the tadka, warm ghee in a pan. Now add rai and let is crackle. Add curry leaves, onions and dry red chilies and saute till the onions are soft and light brown.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Now add sambhar masala, red chilly powder, turmeric, amchoor and salt and saute for 45 seconds till the masala is cooked.
- Finally, add the daal and mix well. A pinch of garam masala will enhance the taste of the daal.
Serve with rice / roti and enjoy this aromatic daal!