I have always been a huge fan of pepper and spices. When i got the chance to mix the two with chicken, it was heavenly.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Adapted from: Indian Cooking, Paperback
- Chicken - boneless, small pieces, 300 gms
- Curry leaves - 1 swig
- Dry red chilies - 2 medium size
- Onion - 2 small sliced
- Cooking oil - 5 tbsp.
- Fennel powder / saunf powder - 1 tsp.
- Turmeric powder / haldi powder - 1 tsp.
- Jeera powder - 1 tsp.
- Whole black pepper - 1 tsp.
- Black pepper - freshly ground, 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp.
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp.
- Rai - 1/2 tsp.
How to prepare Pepper Chicken:
- In a pan, add oil. When the oil is hot, add dry red chilies, rai and curry leaves. When the rai begins to crackle, add whole black pepper.
- Saute for 30 seconds. Now add the onions and saute till onions are golden brown.
- Add garlic paste and ginger paste and saute till the ginger and garlic are cooked.
- Add the spices - fennel (saunf) powder, black pepper, turmeric (haldi) powder, coriander (dhaniya) powder and cumin (jeera) powder and saute for 20 seconds.
- Now add the chicken pieces and mix well. Add water to cover the chicken and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the lid and cook till the water dries completely.
Serve with rice / malabar paratha!
Caution: It's hot!!