I have been fascinated with money bags and have always had the chocolate ones. With bacon and vegetables at home, I thought why not give a try to a savory money bag. Here is my take on Bacon and Vegetable money bags.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 12 minutes
- Filo pastry sheet: 1 (I have used ready made Filo Pastry, available at Le Marche)
- Beans - 50 gms, finely chopped
- Carrot - 1 finely chopped
- Bacon - 50 gms, finely chopped, fat removed
- Cheese - 1/2 cube of Amul cheese, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, finely chopped
- Green Chilies - 2 medium, finely chopped
- Coriander - 1 tsp. finely chopped
- Butter - 5 gms, melted
- Olive oil - 1 tsp.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Boil the carrots and beans in microwave with water.
- In a pan, add olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the garlic and green chilies and saute till the garlic is cooked.
- Now add the chopped bacon and saute till the bacon gets a nice crispy texture. Add the vegetables and mix with the bacon. The vegetables should also get crispy.
- Add salt, pepper according to taste.
- Take the filling of the pan in a bowl. Add chopped coriander and cheese and mix well.
- Grease the tray so that the money bags do not stick to the tray.
- Take a sheet of filo pastry and cut it into 8 rectangles. Now take one filo rectangles and brush butter on it. Keep the 2nd filo rectangles and brush butter on it. Filo pastry drys when in open. If you think it will take time for you to grease and make the money bags, keep the filo under a wet towel to keep it moist.
- Use two rectangles to make a money bag base. Repeat the process with the rest of the filo rectangles.
- Now with a spoon, add the filling in the center of the rectangle and make a bag like shown in the picture.