There are days when we reach home and are so tired that we just don't feel like making a meal. Ordering food is alright once a while, but there are shortcut meal options available at home too! Here is our take on Vegetable Pulao!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Recipe adapted from : Edible Garden
- Rice - 1.5 cups, washed and soaked in water
- Carrots - 1/2 cup, diced in 1 cm cubes
- Beans - 1/2 cup, finely sliced
- Soya nuggets - 1/2 cup, washed
- Green peas - 1/2 cup
- Cloves - 3 to 4
- Bay leaf - 1 to 2
- Cinnamon sticks - 3 to 4
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic - 2 / 3 cloves finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Onions - 1 large, sliced
- Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
- Ghee - 2 tbsp.
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee. Once the ghee is hot enough, add the fragrant spices i.e. cloves, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf and saute for about 10 - 15 seconds.
- Now add the ginger and garlic and saute till the rawness of the ginger and garlic has gone.
- Add the onions and the green chillies and saute. Allow the onions to become pink
- Once the onions have turned pink, add the vegetables and the soya nuggets. (Note: you may add cauliflowers / broccolli / baby corn / cottage cheese or any vegetable of your choice). Saute for a minute.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice in a bowl. Add the rice to the pressure cooker. For 1.5 cups of rice, 3 cups of water is required.
- Add one cup of coconut milk and 2 cups of water to the rice.
- To the rice, also add red chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and allow 2 whistles to the rice. Once the steam has gone off, mix with a fork and serve hot!
Tip: You may serve the rice with curd / raita / fried potatoes.