I have been watching a lot of Masterchef and been inspired to try out something different and yummy.
I did a little bit of research online and decide to a dish which collaborates recipes from 3 of the best chefs in the world.
Gary Mehigan's Chicken Schnitzel
Martha Stewart's Mustard Cream Sauce
Jamie Olivers's Roasted Vegetables
|Chciken Schnitzel with roasted veggies & mustard cream sauce|
Don't get overwhelmed by seeing all the ingredients and length of the recipe. Trust me its easy peasy. I'm as lazy as you all are and want to spend less time in the kitchen as possible.
Let's start then with the easy and time consuming bit
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 red/green/yellow Peppers aka Capsicum
- 1 tsp of Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of Rosemary
- 1 tsp of thyme
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree centigrade.
- Halve and deseed the capsicum and then cut each half into 4 pieces.
- Peel and cut the onions into 8 wedges.
- Quarter the tomatoes
- Put all the cut veggies into a bowl
- Add the black pepper, rosemary, thyme and salt. Mix it well
- Drizzle the olive oil and mix it well like tossing a salad so everything is coated well.
- Spread the veggies into baking tray or dish and roast it in the oven for around an hour till the veggies have become soft and cooked properly.
Jamie's tip in roasting vegetables is to make sure that they are not crowded otherwise the veggies don't get cooked evenly. Its better to do them in batches.
Let's get on to the Chicken Schnitzel next while the veggies are getting roasted.
- 1 Chicken breast fillet
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 70g flour
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of thyme
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 200g bread crumbs
- 50g grated parmesan cheese(I used cheddar)
- Olive oil for frying
- Mix the bread crumbs, cheese, herbs, salt & paper and transfer to a plate
- Cut the chicken horizontally into thin steaks.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of cling film/butter paper and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet. (I didn't have a meat mallet. I used a frying pan and pound that chicken)
- Whisk egg and milk in a bowl. Spread flour onto a plate.
- Take a piece of chicken and coat it with flour on all sides. Dunk it into the egg mixture
- Finally coat the chicken with the bread crumb mixture. Press it firmly to coat.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and cook the chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes till it is tender and golden.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 for the remaining chicken pieces.
Voila your schnitzel is ready. All it needs is some sauce to drizzle.
Mustard Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (I made it using Maggie chicken cubes)
- 1/2 cup cream (I used Amul cream)
- 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard (see note)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- Pour the chicken broth into a hot skillet
- Whisk in cream, mustard and oregano
- Cook and stir for about 2 mins
Note: Dijon mustard is not as same as regular yellow mustard. From what I have read here, Dijon mustard can be replaced with regular. I had a bottle of Dijon at home so I used that. I have not tried it with regular mustard.
Do let me know if anyone gives it a shot with regular mustard.
Plate it up with a side of roasted veggies, a portion of chicken schnitzel drizzled with the mustard sauce.
Trust me its worth it! Its bliss!! Pure bliss!!