Cashew nuts and chicken is a good combination. I have always wanted to make a dish with these two and most of the dishes that came to my mind were Chinese.
I came to know about this Maharashtrian dish called Kaju Chicken in Kaala Masala and I had give it a go but then again I gave my own twist to this curry.
Kaala (black) Masala is a Mahrashtrian take on the garam masala with the addition of coriander seeds and cumin.
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken, cubed
- 50 g grated coconut/ 1 cup coconut milk
- 1.5 tsp of ginger-garlic paste
- 1.5 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 whole dried red chillies (add more for spiceness)
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 50-75 gm cashew nuts
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp of ghee
- salt to taste
- In a frying pan, without any oil, roast the grated coconut(if using),coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, cloves and cinnamon over a low heat.
- After 2-3 mins, add 25 gm of cashew nuts & onion and roast for a further 5 -7 mins, stirring all the time.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool. Grind the mixture along with ginger-garlic paste in a blender by adding coconut milk (if not using grated coconut) or water till it becomes a smooth and fine paste.
- Grind separately 25 gm of cashew nuts with a little water to make a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a cooking pot, add the ground spice mixture and fry for 5 mins over a low heat. Add the ground cashew nuts and salt to taste and fry for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the chicken pieces, turn up the heat to moderate and fry for 5 mins. Add the remaining coconut milk(if using) and 1/2 cup of water. Else 1.5 cups of water
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes covered. After that remove the lid and cook till chicken is done.
- In the mean time, take the remaining cashew nuts and fry them in ghee till brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked, garnish it with the fried cashew nuts.
This is a very mild curry and ideal for those averse to spicy food. This will be a big hit in the family both for the adults and kids. This dish will go with rice as well as roti.